For a relatively short charter, then, there is quite a lot going on here, and the grant reveals there were multiple stages leading to the final donation. First, the brothers gave land together. Then, the abbot immediately handed over this land—previously shared between the brothers—to Gerald in fief. Presumably the donation to Gerald softened the blow of losing access to, or possession of, other parts of the estates.
Secondly, Hugo granted the land that was his to give alone, including the church of Pomario and its revenues, directly to the abbot. The church must have been an impressive holding, and we are fortunate that a church survives to the present day in Pomario that may retain traces of that given by Hugo. Although its construction cannot be precisely dated, its oratory and chapel dedicated to St Peter make it the oldest in Sénergues. Pre-Romanesque elements suggest these oldest parts were likely standing when Hugo made his grant. At the time of its construction, relics were encased in the altar of the old chapel (these were allegedly uncovered in 1868 during the church’s restoration). Looking more broadly at the corpus of similar charters in which a church was granted by members of a family, it is quite unusual to read that an ecclesia was possessed by one sibling and not another.